KOREA: Seoul Racecourse – Sunday July 21, 2019
Race 1: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 24 Million
(6) YEONGGWANGUI BEAT has shown promise across three starts so far. He was slightly slow away last time but recovered to run a useful 4th and he looks primed to make the breakthrough here. Yeonggwangui Beat had been ridden in his last two starts by Moon Sung-Hyeok but today the apprentice gets on (1) CRAZY QUEEN. This filly has also looked to have some potential with a couple of near-misses and under a light weight here, can go close. (2) GOLD LEVEL weakened having led last start but is worth another chance here while (5) CHOEGANG SINGI and (8) BAEKDU GEOPO are others with placing chances.
|Selections||(6) Yeonggwangui Beat (1) Crazy Queen (2) Gold Level (5) Cheogang Singi|
|Next Best||8, 7|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 9|
Race 2: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
Fillies only here competing for a big prize over the 1300M and a decent set of them have been attracted. Having run 4th on debut, (8) MIGHTY LUCK put in a dominating eleven-length sore on her re-appearance at this distance in early June. She’s up in class today but the manner of that victory suggests there is plenty more to come from here. It took (1) BANGTANMA ten goes to get her maiden win and she followed it up with unsuccessful, yet credible tilts at both the Korean Oaks and the Gyeonggi Governor’s Cups. She’s back in more amenable company today and back at the trip she won at so she should be a big danger. (7) SINGGEUREOUN TIME already has a 2nd and a 3rd to her name at class and distance and can maintain her consistent record here. (10) WHITE QUEEN was a touch slow to begin on debut over this distance in late May but it didn’t stop her winning by four-lengths. This is tougher but she’s in the hunt. (5) COILRO was equally impressive when registering her first score two weeks ago. Alan Munro, who rode both, gets on Mighty Luck but don’t rule out Coilro from another good performance.
|Selections||(8) Mighty Luck (1) Bangtanma (5) Coilro (10) White Queen|
|Next Best||7, 3|
|Fast Start||3, 6, 8, 9|
Race 3: Class 5 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
Wide open class 5 affair with plenty entering with their recent form reading well. However, it’s one of the few who didn’t go especially well last time, (4) SEMYEONG STORM, who has as good a chance as any. He was a little one-paced when well back over 1300M four weeks ago, but it wasn’t a bad run and it was in stiffer company than this. He’s drawn better to get on speed today and he can win. (11) LAO JIN is the model of consistency, having run 3rd in each of his latest three starts. The wide draw is not a problem and she can maintain her good record here. (5) QUEEN FORCE ONE beat Lao Jin a couple of starts back and should be in the hunt today as well. (7) AUSPICE is up in class and distance after a good maiden win over five furlongs last start. (10) CHEONNYEONUI BARAM similarly comes in off a first victory and while it won’t be so easy for him to get to the front today, it’s not impossible.
|Selections||(4) Semyeong Strom (7) Auspice (11) Lao Jin (5) Queen Force One|
|Next Best||10, 6|
|Fast Start||4, 5, 7, 9|
Race 4: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(2) TAEPUNG EYES has plenty of experience at this level and comes in having run 2nd to Victory King in what was arguably a better class and distance race than this on June 15th. That was despite having a warning issued against him for hanging inwards in the home straight. If he fixes his manners today, he has solid claims. (1) CANNON SHOOTER was 6th in that same race and can get closer this time although a more serious threat is likely to be the up in class (7) DAEGUN POWER. He produced a front-running performance to register his maiden win last start four weeks ago and looks to have plenty of potential for further development. (3) IL MARE got a poor trip last time out but still managed to run 5th in a decent affair. From gate three, he’ll be on speed. (8) FOR J.K, another who didn’t have the best of luck on her most recent appearance, looks best of the rest.
|Selections||(2) Taepung Eyes (7) Daegun Power (3) Il Mare (8) For J.K.|
|Next Best||10, 1|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 11|
Race 5: Class 6 (1700M) Allowance / KRW 24 Million
(8) CHUNGDAM HORANGI beat three of these on his way to 3rd place at this distance on June 23rd. That was just his third career start and he is evidently still learning but he looks to have wins in him, and it would be a surprise if the first of them wasn’t here. (1) HANEOL STAR was 4th in that race and looks the one most likely to emerge as a serious contender here. However, the biggest threats most likely didn’t go in that race. (3) MANSEOK JIGI steps up in trip after an excellent 3rd place over 1300M three weeks ago. He ran through the line well and should be dangerous at this distance. (2) SUNSHINE TEUKGEUP was 4th in that race although with six-lengths to make up, it would be a surprise if she overturned the form here. (5) GREEN PARK the best of a limited rest.
|Selections||(8) Chungdam Horangi (3) Manseok Jigi (1) Haneol Star (2) Sunshine Teukgeup|
|Next Best||5, 4|
Race 6: Class4 (1700M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
Runner-up in the Korean Oaks in May, (1) HEUNG BUJA was never a factor in the Gyeonggi Governor’s Cup over 2000M in late June. Back in trip today and inconsiderably more amenable company, she’s the one to beat here, likely aiming to lead all the way. (2) MYEONGJIN MAN comes in off a string of near-misses at this distance. He was beaten less than a length last time by Main Event and while he may just come up short again, he won’t be far away. (4) LUCKY BONGHWA is up in class after a good win at the distance on June 23rd. He should be on speed from the start and can be competitive at this level. (8) NAM SON and (9) MONSTER QUEEN others in at least the placing hunt.
|Selections||(1) Heung Buja (2) Myeongjin Man (4) Lucky Bonghwa (8) Nam Son|
|Next Best||9, 6|
|Fast Start||1, 4, 6|
Race 7: Class 4 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(2) YOUNG STORM drops back in trip following a win and runner-up finish over 1700M, the latter at this class. He has a ton of experience and while never a prolific winner, he looks to be firmly in the frame here. (8) SUN OF THUNDER was well back behind Young Storm last start at 1700M. He should be suited though by the drop back in trip and should get much closer this time. (7) LUMINESCE similarly had a hard time around two turns on his latest outing but won on his last effort at this distance in April, albeit at class 5 level. (1) GWANGMA HILL and (3) UNDEFEATED are two others to take into consideration.
|Selections||(2) Young Storm (8) Sun Of Thunder (7) Luminesce (1) Gwangma Hill|
|Next Best||3, 6|
|Fast Start||4, 5, 7, 8|
Race 8: Class 4 (1700M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
(7) CALL WIN has been coming into form in his latest two and was just beaten a nose last time by the gutsy Uri. He can sit just off the speed here and run on strongly. (3) ABBEY VOCALS was 4th behind Call Win last time. The Irish-bred colt seems to be getting to grips with things at Seoul and has certainly appreciated being given a bit of distance. He could improve further today. Four of these raced each other at class and distance on June 16th. (1) GWANAK HAMSEONG somewhat surprisingly came out on top that day, finishing 2nd to Smarty Blue, who has since gone on to win again. Third was (8) CHEONGDAM TIGER and with Alan Munro taking the mount today, he’ll be favoured to go closer. (5) GEUMA ZENITH is another with credible claims.
|Selections||(7) Call Win (8) Cheongdam Tiger (3) Abbey Vocals (5) Geuma Zenith|
|Next Best||1, 4|
|Fast Start||4, 5|
Race 9: Class Open “Ilgan Sports” (Listed) Allowance / KRW 200 Million
Essentially a do-over of last month’s Sports Chosun Cup with six of that day’s runners re-appearing here, including the top four place-getters. The winner was (1) BURUI GORI, a slightly late bloomer but who has now won four of his last five to move rapidly up the grades. He flew home late in the Sports Chosun and while there is a furlong less to play with this time, looks the one to beat. (10) SHARK DAEJANGGEUN was sent off favourite that day and came right from the back to run 2nd. He’ll be a danger again but there is a sense that he needs a much longer home straight t be confident about him getting up in time. (6) CHOINMA ran a solid 3rd and can aim for a repeat. Of those that didn’t run in the Sports Chosun, (3) MYEONGPUM CHUKJE looks the pick. He ran in all three legs of the Triple Crown with 5th, 4th and 2nd place finishes and looks a horse with plenty more wins ahead of him in the right company. (9) SIMJANGUI GODONG is another Triple Crown alumnus, having run 2nd in this year’s Derby. He’s a bit erratic but undoubtedly talented.
|Selections||(1) Burui Gori (3) Myeongpum Chukje (10) Shark Daejanggeun (6) Choinma|
|Next Best||9, 6|
|Fast Start||2, 4, 8, 11|
Race 10: Class 3 (1800M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
Competitive handicap and (7) DAEGUN CHEONHA really should overturn the form on (2) SEOUL TANK who surprisingly bettered him when the pair ran 2nd and 3rd at class and distance on June 23rd. He should be on pace from the start and can potentially lead all the way. (1) STAR POWER comes in with consistent recent form and can step back up in trip confident of a place. (9) GEUMA WHOLESOME is up in class having won two of his latest three and under a competitive weight, can go close. (10) FAST FASHION ran 6th in the Sports Chosun Cup behind a host of the ones we saw going in race 9. This is a softer test and he can be in the frame.
|Selections||(7) Daegun Cheonha (1) Star Power (9) Geuma Wholesome (10) Fast Fashion|
|Next Best||2, 5|
|Fast Start||6, 7, 9|
Race 11: Class 3 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
Another competitive affair to conclude with but (9) KING MESSENGER, who beat a couple of these on his way to 2nd place at class and distance on June 15th, looks like the one to beat again. That was his first attempt at this class, and he can come from just off the pace to finish strongly. (6) BEST LINE ran 3rd in that race, a length and a half in arrears of King Messenger. He led for much of the way around and should be in the hunt here. (4) HEUK JEONSA is up in class having won by a commanding four-lengths over 1300M in June. This is his first time at 1400M, but he should be on speed again and can stay on. (7) AMENDA and (10) BIG EAR are others who can expect to be involved at the business end.
|Selections||(9) King Messenger (4) Heuk Jeonsa (6) Best Line (10) Big Ear|
|Next Best||7, 3|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 3, 4|